Saturday, November 3, 2007

You See This Dog....

He came to live with us on January 19, when he was 11 weeks old. But I began loving him just a few weeks after his birth, before we'd ever met. We named him Zeke. I sent him a little toy, which I carried around with me inside my shirt for a day, to get it all properly scented and introduce him to his new mom's smell. To this day, it is the only toy out of a whole box full that he cares anything about. It goes with him everywhere.
It's the most amazing thing, to have a furry brown-eyed baby come into your life. They completely take over, and rightly so. They require complete attention to their needs. They are your child; you are their parent in every real sense. I willingly gave my life over to this little tyrant with the wet nose and soft, moist eyes that melted me with adoration one moment and insisted that his demands be met the next. His unique personality was evident early on: this is no "ordinary" dog. He is opinionated, judgmental, a considered thinker who moves easily from the spiritual to the temporal world. He listens to reason, most of the time. And delights us with his unpretentious joy in the most mundane. How could I have known how fitting a name we gave: "strength of God", Ezekiel is serious, profound, tenacious. He seldom takes any course of action without deep consideration. Many rely upon him for his just and equable judgment."
Happy Birthday, Little Man Zeke! God grant you many, many more!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Zeke!

From your cousins in Colorado.

Pete, Tess & Sophie