Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Watching You

"Watching You"
30" x 40" Oil on Hand-dyed cotton fabric on gallery-wrapped canvas
copyright 2013 Katy Widger
 


This is another painting on hand-dyed fabric from my days as a quilt artist.  The Mexican Gray Wolf is a resident of Wildlife West Nature Park in Edgewood, NM.
The aspens and lupines were not a part of the original photo, and do not exist in this particularly dry area of New Mexico, but I added them for artistic effect, and because they do exist in the Mexican Gray Wolf's native environment in the high mountains of the Gila Wilderness in southern New Mexico.  And, hopefully, in his future natural environment.
This particular wolf followed me at a pretty close range as we exited their enclosure, and I turned and grabbed a quick photo when alerted to his presence by my husband.
His stance:  tail lowered, ears erect and forward, gaze open and steady, suggests extreme curiosity and confidence, but is not threatening nor challenging.  He was simply watching me.  And now, watching you.  Perhaps he is waiting, also, for his chance at freedom.

No comments: