Monday, October 15, 2007

Mychal's Bone


I love dogs. I don't just mean that I love dogs the way you love chocolate, I mean I love dogs more than I love a lot of humans in my life. And I love a lot of humans, too. But I consider dogs to be persons, in that I believe they have personalities, that they are sentient beings, an alien race, another tribe. And in stating that, I am saying that I believe that dogs have eternal spirits and souls, just like I believe that humans do. Only, they have no original sin, like we do. When Christ died to reconcile the cosmos with God, that "world" that God so loved that He died for included animate life. Creatures, all of them, now reconciled to God. Christ made up to animals what man had done to them. I believe that when animals die, their spirits, that eternal part of them, goes back to God, who gave it. Meditating on the Word has convinced me of this.

I lost a very special love of mine last year. His name was Mychal Angelo. He died too soon, according to my plans, but right on time, according to God's economy. I miss him terribly. I'm going to paint a portrait of him, someday. Not quite right now, though.

"Mychal's Bone"

7" x 5"
Oil on board.

4 comments:

Katy Widger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh Katy, I love your thoughts and so love your painting of Mychal's
bone. I have an assortment of ordinary "doggie shrines" throughout
our home, created to fill the empty space in my heart after losing
our forever dog, Sam. He was part Apso and his passing into the
shelter of God's embrace opened the door to Sweet Pete and his
companions.
Peace on the Journey,
Kathy

Katy Widger said...

Thank you for your kind words. It's wonderful to meet kindred spirits along the way!
Katy

Anonymous said...

Katy, this is the first time I've been back to your blog since you created it. Look at what I've been missing! Mychal's Bone. I simply can't find words right now to share how this painting has touched me.