Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Mexican Gray Wolf #1

I've been wanting to paint wolves for a while now, at least a year or two. I've been waiting for the time, and some good reference photos. And opportunities to actually see wolves, up close and in person. Wild Life West, a rescue park for native animals that can no longer be released, had several Gray Wolves for a while, but not Mexican Gray Wolves, until a pack of three brothers came to live out their lives there. They were born on the Armendaris Ranch in SW New Mexico. One of Ted Turner's vast holdings in New Mexico. They were to be released in the Mexican Gray Wolf Recovery Program, but one of the wolves, in spite of best attempts by the keepers, just became too friendly with humans. In fact, I'm sure it was the same wolf who gave me several magnificent "play bows" (or perhaps they were challenges!)  on the day we went to photograph them. We were allowed to go inside their enclosure, and once settled in, the three brothers ventured closer and closer, circling us back and forth. My husband got some great photos and I just absorbed their beauty and wildness, still very much apparent, even though they are captive born and will be captive all their lives. There are only 50 Mexican Gray Wolves, also known as Lobos, left in the wild. They are on the very edge of extinction. I am hoping that the paintings I plan to do in the coming year(s) will assist with fund raising to help insure their recovery. I'll have prints and greeting cards available soon, if you're interested. This painting is 9" x 12", oil on board, and will be available for sale soon for $365.00 If you're interested, please contact me.

No comments: