Monday, August 29, 2011

September 11, 2001


September 11, 2001

These images began to take form in my heart the week after September 11, 2001…..they are my prayers for peace. They are also the last art I ever created using my hand dyed fabric in the medium of the Art Quilt. From that point on, I chose to express myself with oil on canvas. I exhibit them here, now, in honor of the

Tenth Anniversary of 9/11.

The Columbine is symbolic of the Dove, and both represent the Holy Spirit, the Giver of the Peace of God, that mysterious Peace Which Passes All Understanding. I called these four fiber pieces,

“Espiritu de la Paloma”, The Spirit of the Dove.

The Hebrew word for “Shalom” appears on each piece. Like so many artists, I was expressing in the only way I knew how, my own personal grief, sorrow and disbelief in the unfolding tragedy.

These pieces have been exhibited in numerous venues throughout New Mexico and the United States, including an invitational venue that began at the University of Pennsylvania and traveled throughout Europe, ending in a castle in Germany.


No comments: