Saturday, May 23, 2009

Three Lhasa Apsos




These are my three Lhasa Apsos, Wyatt, Zeke and Sadie.
Wyatt is Sadie's son, and Zeke's first cousin. Sadie is Zeke's aunt. They are family, and they are my family, my kids.
In these three little 12x12 paintings, I tried to capture their individuality within the same format. Each has a favorite toy, a favorite spot on the bed, a way of relating to me that is different from the others.
.
Wyatt is the youngest, always ready to have a good time. I'd easily know him if I were blind, by his reach (he's the tallest of the three), by the jingle of his tags as he jauntily trots through the house, and by his sudden and accurate leaps onto my lap when least expected. Sadie seems to think that he's still a "goober" in need of her discipline. I can't argue that. He still won't come when called and occasionally makes a mad dash out the gate and has to be rounded up, oblivious to any dangers lurking. Wyatt loves all his toys, but the green frog is a particular favorite (notice the missing eye).
.
The Zeke has a presence all his own. He is a gentleman and very dignified, except when he's not, and that usually involves play time, or just general Apso Happiness expressed in odd posturings on the couch, butt in the air, grunts and growls of pleasure emanating from his face buried in the cushions. Zeke is the Guardian and Overseer of our little Raindance Farm. As much as I would like to think, and say, otherwise, it is his decision as to whom is allowed in the front door. I'm not sure what to do about that, except to accept his judgment and apologize profusely for my inability to control his vocalizations....The Zeke you see growling and scratching his displeasure at your presence is not the same one who cuddles up next to my heart at night on the bed.
.
Tiny Sadie, on the other hand, is quiet, unobtrusive and relies on her cuteness to win over anyone not instantly smitten by her charm. She is, however, pretty much in charge of the boys, especially Wyatt. Well, to be honest, she is pretty much in charge of all of us. And she rarely has to do more than ask, with charm and aplomb, to receive anything her little heart desires. Spoiled? Of course she is. But rarely does she abuse the privileges she receives or the authority she commands. My little Sadie Wonder is queen of my heart!
.
These three paintings are going to a show at the Rio Rancho County Club for June, July and August.

No comments: