Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Zeke's Black & White Baby Toy


By the end of the day, here’s what I had. I’m fairly pleased…it captures the idea I was going for.
Susan pegged it when she told me that in the initial sketch “ Zeke's posture in that picture reminds me of a guy bellied up to the bar....one foot up on the railing, his right elbow on the bar, his shot glass cradled in his right hand....asking the bartender to "fill 'er up, pardner"....
That pretty much describes Zeke: The party doesn’t start until Zeke gets there!

He’s had that B & W toy since before we got him. I scented it all up with my smell, then mailed it to him (to Debbie, actually) in a zip loc to preserve the scent. Wanted him to know what he was getting into, before we went and picked him up! Worked like a charm – he LOVES that baby toy!
When he was just a few months old, we were sitting out on the back porch, talking about how smart dogs are and how well they understand what we’re saying (and thinking!). To demonstrate, I said, rather casually, “ Hey, Zeke, go get your black and white baby toy and bring it here.”
I’d never even called it a “black and white baby toy” before, much less ever asked him to go and get anything! I had no expectations. But, I’ll be damned if he didn’t immediately trot off through the dog door, into the house, and emerged a very short time later with his black and white baby toy! We were stunned!

This toy is very rarely out of his sight. He carries it with him from room to room and he always knows where it is. Sometimes he buries it in the garden for safekeeping, but mostly, it resides somewhere nearby The Zeke.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,
What a wonderful story about Zeke - makes me smile, because my cat Zeke sits on a chair behind me while I paint (but no toys)! I love your blog and have it linked to my own: http://cabinart.net/wordpress/ I think your email must have changed because each time I try to send you something, it comes back!
love,
jana

Unknown said...

I walked into the living room yesterday and there was Zeke. No, no, no, that doesn't make any sense, now does it? Well, it was actually Raji, lying there in a perfect Zeke pose: one paw forward, one curled around her imaginary drink there on the bar, and looking up at me as if to say....Howdy pardner....
Wish I'd had my camera.
Susan